+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: April's books 2015

And I wouldn't make fun of any war veterans stories either Ken. But war is war and odd things happen. My father told me that when he was in Italy (WWII of course) some British troops "liberated" a gentleman's outfitter. There were around thirty soldiers marching down the road all wearing very expensive Italian hats. Funniest thing he's ever seen he said. Then a German artillery shell came down......
    Suddenly not funny.

But, for a totally fucked up book I've yet to read anything to rival Ian Banks the Wasp Factory. To this day I can't make my mind up if it's horrible, brilliantly horrible or just brilliant.
    Nah, omnly jkling. Im going to habe another Whisky.

Actually Ken have you read The Village? It's a true Vietnam story but I can't remember the author at the moment. Bink or Bing someone maybe? To me it gave a real insight into what went on. And one part did bring a tear or two. Read it and I'm betting you'll guess which part.

Quote Originally Posted by KRW View Post
    I've just finished rereading Dan Parkinsons's "The Guns Of No Man's Land". If you ever read but just one western in your life ( I'd encourage everyone to read more than one) make it this one
    I'm not a big western fan but for you I will give it a try!

But, as a tip in return, Robert E Howard (more famous for creating Conan!) wrote quite a few westerns. I've read some of the short stories and although they're perhaps not what some would call great literature I found them entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I'm not a big western fan but for you I will give it a try!

But, as a tip in return, Robert E Howard (more famous for creating Conan!) wrote quite a few westerns. I've read some of the short stories and although they're perhaps not what some would call great literature I found them entertaining.
    I can't say I actually read Westerns for the literature, just some really good stories. Hands down, this was one of the most fun stories I've read in any genre.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmit Brown

Nobody owns Clyde. He's a free ape! - Clint Estwood

I read for escapism. Oh I've tried reading the Great Classics, you know the books you're supposed to have read in your life. Never works out for me. I just get bored and give up halfway through.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I read for escapism. Oh I've tried reading the Great Classics, you know the books you're supposed to have read in your life. Never works out for me. I just get bored and give up halfway through.
    Self help books, the how to books, or even the "destructions" that come with any thing that needs to be assembled. Cannot stand them. I've finished a few of the classics and enjoyed them, but I'm like you. I want escapism. When I read a good book, more often than not, I don't see the words or remember turning pages. It really doesn't matter on the genre either, as long as I'm engrossed in the book. (though I've been known to take a little to long on some "adult" novels)

Hell, if I just wanted to read to better myself with no thought about a good story... I'd read the dictionary!
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmit Brown

Nobody owns Clyde. He's a free ape! - Clint Estwood

Quote Originally Posted by KRW View Post
    That's not a lot to go on. I've read "Where the red fern grows" and "The day no pigs would die".
    I read A Day No Pigs Would Die when I was 10 or 11 years old. Very good book. One of my favorite parts is the protagonist's take on baptism. Hilarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4