+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9 year old + Uzi = disaster.

9 year old + Uzi = disaster.

Anyone else heard about this? It happened at a shooting range in Northern Arizona called "Bullets and Burgers". (My kind of place!) Basicly the trainer was killed when the 9 year old he was supervising lost control of a fully automatic Uzi.

IMHO, that was too much gun for the girl and both the trainer and the parents should have realized it. But the biggest flaw in judgment was when the trainer stood beside her (vs behind he) when she shot.

A sad situation indeed.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmit Brown

Nobody owns Clyde. He's a free ape! - Clint Estwood

Agree with everything you said. Physical strength of the person doing the shooting has to be considered and no nine year old is strong enough to keep control is a fully automatic Uzi. Hell, I wouldn't trust myself with one.
    "You don't make Tolivians do anything." - Healer by F. Paul Wilson

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - The Revolution a Manifesto by Ron Paul

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Yes, we've had this on the news here as well. Of course the anti-gun lobby have jumped all over it but, to me, it's just an example of poor supervision, or as I would put it stupidity.

To put it in my own terms would I let a 9 year old drive a small car on a closed track with safety barriers around it and me sitting beside them? Yes, I would if they could reach the pedals and were calm and sensible about it. So, would I let them drive a high performance car with no barriers? Nope, never in a million years.

Lets expand on that a little.

Would I let a 9 year old shoot a .22 rifle on a closed range under close supervision? Yes, I did without a problem. Would I let them shoot a Lee Enfield .303? Nope, I didn't until I was 15 and even then it scared the fuck out of me first time.

This was a stupid thing to allow and all it's done is give more ammunition to the anti-gun lobby.
    Nah, omnly jkling. Im going to habe another Whisky.

9 year old + Uzi = disaster.

Lots of mistakes. Lots of bad in that situation.

Her experience level would have been a key factor, but the 9 year olds I know aren't up to the task.
    Last edited by Tim; 09-01-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. -Elwood P. Dowd

Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fucked with? -Walt Kowalski

I don't think 9 year olds are mature enough to understand shooting a gun and the responsibilities of it ...

I'm sure there might be the rare exception of a mature 9 yr old ... But that has to be 1 out of 100 ....

I had my first gun, a .22, when I was in the third or fourth grade. I have no problem teaching mature kids to shoot a firearm. The problem here is not the maturity of the girl, or even her age - inability (due to body strength and not being prepared) to control a fully automatic handgun and the foolishness of the instructor. It's plainly a case of knowing better - he should have, and didn't, and now this poor kid and her family will be scarred for life.

I don't think age is the issue here - her strength and physical ability, combined with his lack of common sense, is.

I can go with CR on this. Without knowing the kid involved I have to say that I have known kids who I would trust with a firearm (as I said I first used a .22 at 9 years old) but ONLY under good supervision and with a gun suited to their physical abilities. In this case neither of those requirements were met. Of course I've also known people who even as adults I wouldn't let near any sort of weapon under any circumstances. There is an attitude requirement as well!

As an aside the only full autos I've ever fired were Bren Guns (on a bipod so that doesnt really count here) and a Sterling. Is an Uzi really that hard to handle? I would thought at 9mm like the Sterling it wouldn't jump around that much if you had a good grip on it? Please excuse my ignorance if I'm hopelessly wrong. And, yes, I was more than 9 when I fired a Sterling!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I can go with CR on this. Without knowing the kid involved I have to say that I have known kids who I would trust with a firearm (as I said I first used a .22 at 9 years old) but ONLY under good supervision and with a gun suited to their physical abilities. In this case neither of those requirements were met. Of course I've also known people who even as adults I wouldn't let near any sort of weapon under any circumstances. There is an attitude requirement as well!

As an aside the only full autos I've ever fired were Bren Guns (on a bipod so that doesnt really count here) and a Sterling. Is an Uzi really that hard to handle? I would thought at 9mm like the Sterling it wouldn't jump around that much if you had a good grip on it? Please excuse my ignorance if I'm hopelessly wrong. And, yes, I was more than 9 when I fired a Sterling!
    An Uzi is a light weight pistol that cycles 600 rounds per minute (per Wikipedia). That's 10 rounds per second. There aren't a lot of adults I'd completely trust with an Uzi pistol, and sure as shit not a child. We had a kid in Massachusetts a few years back try his hand at an Uzi under the supervision of a sheriff. He also lost control when the pistol jumped in his hands and shot himself in the head, straight under his chin.

You're right, a 9mm round is not much recoil, and if this were a rifle, I'd be fine with a kid shooting this under supervision, full auto or not - but the fast rate of fire in a light weight full auto pistol changes everything. You have to be on top of this thing, it's like holding a fire hose.

Well explained CR, I (stupidly) hadn't considered the rate of fire. I don't know what a Sterling fires at but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near 10 rounds a second! And, although it was quite light, I daresay a Sterling is heavier than an Uzi as well. Sorry, didn't really think that one through.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    An Uzi is a light weight pistol that cycles 600 rounds per minute (per Wikipedia). That's 10 rounds per second. There aren't a lot of adults I'd completely trust with an Uzi pistol, and sure as shit not a child. We had a kid in Massachusetts a few years back try his hand at an Uzi under the supervision of a sheriff. He also lost control when the pistol jumped in his hands and shot himself in the head, straight under his chin.

You're right, a 9mm round is not much recoil, and if this were a rifle, I'd be fine with a kid shooting this under supervision, full auto or not - but the fast rate of fire in a light weight full auto pistol changes everything. You have to be on top of this thing, it's like holding a fire hose.
    I've never shot one so I'm not sure exactly what it takes to control one. That said, I totally think I could because Hollywood makes it look so easy!

Joking aside , I do feel very badly for that girl. I'm sure it will haunt her for the rest of her life.

What I don't want to see happen is this place punished for offering a good time and making shooting a family outing. I saw a lot of negative press early on, but nothing of late. I hope it stays that way...
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? - Dr. Emmit Brown

Nobody owns Clyde. He's a free ape! - Clint Estwood

+ Reply to Thread